Scars can be an unwanted visual reminder of a past procedure or injury. But scars are not simply cosmetic. Scar tissue lacks the full function of skin that hasn’t been injured or involved in a surgery. For example, flexibility and the sense of touch may be diminished or completely lost in the scar area. Effectively treating a scar can help to complete your healing process.
BIOCORNEUM can be used on scars resulting from surgical and cosmetic procedures, trauma, wounds and burns, and it can be effective on old or new scars.
Easy, Effective Care for Scar Recovery
- Self-adhering – won’t peel, no tape required
- Ideal for skin that must flex a lot (such as around joints), irregular surfaces, as well as large scar areas
- Ideal for face, neck, chest, hands, and other areas exposed to the sun
- Can be combined with other treatment options your physician recommends
- Suitable for children over the age of 6 months
Real Patient Results With Biocorneum
The Science of Scar Reduction
BIOCORNEUM’s key ingredient, FDA-Cleared Silishield® Technology patented crosslinked silicone, advances the benefits of traditional silicone sheeting through the comfort and ease of a gel. Silishield forms a protective shield over the scar area that is optimal for scar healing and cosmetic improvement.
Silishield’s patented technology, made with medical grade silicone, helps to keep skin hydrated and helps control excessive collagen formation that contributes to abnormal scarring.5
Sunscreen products protect the area from sun exposure’s darkening effects while BIOCORNEUM maintains its silky-smooth feel and clear appearance.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Biocorneum?
BIOCORNEUM® by Sientra is the only advanced scar treatment with Silishield® patented crosslinked silicone plus the protection of SPF 30 — to support your skin inside and out. BIOCORNEUM forms an invisible shield to create an optimal environment that can
- prevent and minimize the formation of new scars,
- decrease the appearance of old scars, and
- help to restore the function of healthy skin.
Why has my physician recommended I use Biocorneum?
What is Silishield?
Is Biocorneum easy to use?
Why should I treat my scar?
How does Biocorneum work?
How long should I use Biocorneum to get the best results?
For maximum effectiveness, use BIOCORNEUM consistently for the duration of treatment your physician advises. Recommended minimum
- new scars: 60 days
- older scars: 90 days
How do I apply Biocorneum?
- Ensure that the affected area is clean and dry.
- Apply a very thin, even layer two times a day (morning and evening) over the scar area.
- BIOCORNEUM is quick-drying. Allow to dry completely.
- Once dry, BIOCORNEUM can be covered with pressure garments, clothing or cosmetics.
- If the affected area is subject to abrasion, it may be beneficial to repeat the application midday.
- Wait 15 minutes before sun exposure.
For maximum effectiveness, BIOCORNEUM should have 24-hour contact with the scar area for the duration of the treatment